The Show Must Go On!!! Everybody that plays Warhammer knows full well about all that has happened over the last few months with Games Workshop and the state of the game that we all know and love so I won’t go into too much detail about all of that. I will, however, take this time to let everybody know that no matter the situation, whether the game has somehow been revived by GW or there are fan-made changes that we adopt as a Midwest community, The Wicked GT 2016 will be here! (@thewickedgt) Here’s a few things that I’d like everybody to know:
– The Battle for Oz Tournament Series! If you’re local to the Kansas area and are still interested in Warhammer then do your best to come be apart of the Battle for Oz Tournament Series that we hold every other month at Hero Complex. This is a (somewhat) narrative approach that we’re taking for the tournaments and it’s seen as a storyline that leads up to the final battle which will be the Wicked GT 2016. There’s a points system that tracks all the players and, in the end, the player with the most points will become the Battle for Oz Grand Champion! Round 1 of the Series, The Scarecrow’s Wrath, took place on August 15th and Round 2, The Tin Man’s Revenge, will take place on October 24th. We currently have 10 people signed up and will only grow as we continue to push Warhammer and play the game that we all love. So if you’re free and want to play some 8th edition Warhammer, please visit this link for all the information you need about the Tournament Series and when the next tournaments will take place!
– Warhammer 8th Edition! As stated earlier, we still have a large group that supports Warhammer 8th edition, which is why we’ve decided to push forward and move on with our original plans. There may come a time over the next few months where we start to transition to Kings of War (or some other game) but for now the love for Warhammer is still strong here in the Midwest. People love it, people want to play it, and people have asked for the Wicked GT 2016 and so that’s our goal – to bring everybody together for the 2nd Wicked GT! Any changes made to rules over the next few months will be made known here on the Wicked GT website, so make sure to check back. As it is right now, we are running the 8th edition rule set of Warhammer Fantasy Battle.
– Wicked GT 2016 Features! There are going to be some great features for the Wicked GT 2016 and we’ve already started planning on tons of things that we’re making changes to in order to bring you an excellent and memorable gaming experience. Here’s a few of the things we’ve been working on:
- Cost! This year we are going to charge less for the Wicked GT! Initially we charged a little bit more to offset the cost of the tables but now that they have been purchased we are passing those savings on to you and so we’re looking at making the Wicked GT 2016 somewhere in the range of $40 to $50 per person, as opposed to $60/$65 from last year! When we finalize the price you’ll see it right here!
- Golden Toto Painting Competition: This will be back and better than before. Updated scoring rubrics, new categories, and new rules will call on all of the best painters around to showcase their skills at the Golden Toto Painting Competition! New this year also… Brian Hunter (@bambamhunter), who is currently doing all of the artwork for each of the Battle for Oz Tournament Series, is going to sculpt actual Golden Toto trophies to hand out to each winner of each category! Brian is seriously talented when it comes to this stuff (make sure to check out his fan page) so we can’t wait to see what he has in store. Last year he did the artwork for the Wicked GT as well as the Painting Competition! This is what he drew up for the Golden Toto Painting Competition! More to come as we get updates from Brian!
- Custom Trophies! This year we are bringing back the custom trophies that you can only find at the Wicked GT! If you missed these last year then do your best to participate this year because being able to walk home with one of these trophies can only be found right here! Chris McArthur made each of the 11 trophies and we aim to bring these back this year as well!
- Booze! That’s right! We’re bringing the bar back with drinks and beer that will be available throughout the weekend of the Wicked GT 2016 (@thewickedgt)! There could be some changes to this for this upcoming year… mainly a small fee that would serve as a “weekend pass” to have unlimited drinks. This fee will be small and will serve only to help with the cost of the alcohol and supplies for the weekend. This is not set in stone but something we will know more about as the weeks pass. Stay tuned!
- Updated Scenarios! We will make some changes to the scenarios from last year and work on the faction abilities as well so that we can bring you an unforgettable gaming experience!
- Time Frame! As of right now, we are targeting March 2016 for the time frame for the Wicked GT. We’re currently working with the hotel to determine open dates and once we have a firm date we will post that here. But for now just want to make sure everybody is aware that we are going to have it in March 2016.
- Social Media! If you have Twitter then make sure to follow us @thewickedgt and to like our Facebook page found here. Everything we post on this page will be posted on both Twitter and Facebook pages so if you don’t happen to catch updates on one thing then you’ll likely catch it on another!
There’s plenty more to come over the next several months but the mail goal for this update is to raise the level of awareness that the Wicked GT 2016 show will go on and we will bring it to you live and up front in March 2016! So many more updates to come so make sure to follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and bookmark this page so that you can get all the updates as they are made available. We’re looking forward to another great GT that brings around some of the best gamers in the country! Warhammer lives on in the Midwest so make sure that you’re a part of it! Stay tuned for more!
The first ever Wicked GT (@thewickedgt) has come and gone and this past weekend brought together 26 generals from as far west as Denver, Colorado and all the way up north to Illinois and then down south to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma! We had some great players, some excellent armies, and enough shenanigans to go around for the entire weekend! First and foremost, we’d like to give a HUGE shoutout to all of the players. Truly, without you, the players, the Wicked GT would never have happened and been the huge success that it was. The players always make these events awesome and, as a TO, getting to interact with new and old faces alike makes putting on something as special as a grand tournament definitely worthwhile. So a huge thank you to all of the players that dealt with my endless emails and updates, requests for new army lists, and making sure you were paid up and on time! Thank you guys so much!
Secondly, I’d like to thank all of our sponsors – Hero Complex, Bits of War, Hobbytown USA, Cardboard Arcade, Dave Graffam Models, and Secret Weapon Miniatures. For everybody that attended, make sure to check in your Players Packet for all the information you need to get in touch with any of our sponsors. Much like the players, the GT would not be possible without the help from our great sponsors. We had donations from everybody that ranged from boxed sets and blisters to custom bases and miniatures that were used as prize support, and even the terrain that graced all of the tabletops that were up at the Wicked GT. For anybody that has an interest in this hobby, please make sure to visit each and every one of these sponsors because they make / sell some of the best accessories / gaming items you’ll ever need. Thank you to all of our sponsors! You helped make the Wicked GT a success!
Thirdly, I’d like to thank some people in particular. Chris McArthur put together all of the awesome trophies that you can only find at the Wicked GT. In addition to having a unique gaming experience at the Wicked you also get one-of-a-kind trophies that you can’t find anywhere else. The trophies were fan favorites all weekend long so thanks to Chris for making it happen. Also, Brian Hunter (@bambamhunter) did all of the artwork that you seen at the GT this weekend and the images that grace this website. He’s a unique talent that helped to drive home the theme that we were wanting for the Wicked GT so thanks to him as well. And Alex Bade helped to actually get all/most of the items up to the venue this past weekend. This is referring to the keg, tables, etc and he even worked to put together the top 2 theme tables that included the custom tornado and yellow brick road! All of these guys combined helped to make the Wicked GT unique and their help definitely didn’t go unnoticed. Thanks to all of these guys!
Now, it’s time to get down to the final standings… But before we do that let me make just a few more bullet points to let you know what’s coming.
– Surveys! We are going to send out surveys to everybody that attended to get your feedback on the Wicked GT as a whole. Please let us know how we can improve. Remember, if you had a great time at the Wicked GT then please tell other people. If you didn’t, please tell us. There’s no way we can improve if we don’t know what went wrong. We are big boys and gladly accept criticism. It’s the only way we can improve your future Wicked GT gaming experience. Be expecting these surveys shortly!
– Wicked GT 2016! We haven’t finalized a date yet but we know that the Wicked GT 2016 is already set for March 2016… that means we are already within 10 months from having the next one! We were able to switch spots with the Slobberknocker, which works out better for both parties. Once dates are set and we know what’s what, we’ll open registration right here on this website! Stay tuned!
And now for the final standings! Make sure to follow the link below to find out where everybody ended up and also visit the Results page as well as the Golden Toto Painting Competition page to see how that turned out.
And congratulations to all of our winners:
Overall Champion, Wicked GT 2015 – Erik Wilmeth / B.A.W.G.S. / Ogre Kingdoms
Best General, Scarecrows – Chris Westerhold / Team Speedbump / Warriors of Chaos
Best General, Tin Men – James Valdez / Flying Monkeys / Daemons of Chaos
Best General, Wicked Witches – Jon Pike / B.A.W.G.S. / High Elves
Best Appearance, 1st Place – Austin Murrey / B.A.W.G.S. / Wood Elves
Best Appearance, 2nd Place – Randall Hill / Droppin’ Deuces / Warriors of Chaos
Best Appearance, 3rd Place – Mike Grudowsk / B.A.W.G.S. / Daemons of Chaos
Best Sportsman – Mike McGuire / Daemons of Chaos
Player’s Choice – Noble Diven / Warriors of Chaos
Underdog Award – Kurt Armstrong / B.A.W.G.S. / Scarecrow / Dwarfs
Traveler’s Award – Chad Moore / Droppin’ Deuces / Fort Collins, CO – 569 miles!
Be sure to visit the other pages to check out all of the pictures that show some games in action as well as the lovely bartenders that we had, the venue after set up, and even some Friday night gaming that took place. Thank you again to everybody that participated as well as our sponsors! Next year is going to be even bigger and better! If you have any questions at all please don’t hesitate to ask! Thanks again for making the Wicked GT 2015 a huge success!!!