The first ever Wicked GT (@thewickedgt) has come and gone and this past weekend brought together 26 generals from as far west as Denver, Colorado and all the way up north to Illinois and then down south to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma! We had some great players, some excellent armies, and enough shenanigans to go around for the entire weekend! First and foremost, we’d like to give a HUGE shoutout to all of the players. Truly, without you, the players, the Wicked GT would never have happened and been the huge success that it was. The players always make these events awesome and, as a TO, getting to interact with new and old faces alike makes putting on something as special as a grand tournament definitely worthwhile. So a huge thank you to all of the players that dealt with my endless emails and updates, requests for new army lists, and making sure you were paid up and on time! Thank you guys so much!
Secondly, I’d like to thank all of our sponsors – Hero Complex, Bits of War, Hobbytown USA, Cardboard Arcade, Dave Graffam Models, and Secret Weapon Miniatures. For everybody that attended, make sure to check in your Players Packet for all the information you need to get in touch with any of our sponsors. Much like the players, the GT would not be possible without the help from our great sponsors. We had donations from everybody that ranged from boxed sets and blisters to custom bases and miniatures that were used as prize support, and even the terrain that graced all of the tabletops that were up at the Wicked GT. For anybody that has an interest in this hobby, please make sure to visit each and every one of these sponsors because they make / sell some of the best accessories / gaming items you’ll ever need. Thank you to all of our sponsors! You helped make the Wicked GT a success!
Thirdly, I’d like to thank some people in particular. Chris McArthur put together all of the awesome trophies that you can only find at the Wicked GT. In addition to having a unique gaming experience at the Wicked you also get one-of-a-kind trophies that you can’t find anywhere else. The trophies were fan favorites all weekend long so thanks to Chris for making it happen. Also, Brian Hunter (@bambamhunter) did all of the artwork that you seen at the GT this weekend and the images that grace this website. He’s a unique talent that helped to drive home the theme that we were wanting for the Wicked GT so thanks to him as well. And Alex Bade helped to actually get all/most of the items up to the venue this past weekend. This is referring to the keg, tables, etc and he even worked to put together the top 2 theme tables that included the custom tornado and yellow brick road! All of these guys combined helped to make the Wicked GT unique and their help definitely didn’t go unnoticed. Thanks to all of these guys!
Now, it’s time to get down to the final standings… But before we do that let me make just a few more bullet points to let you know what’s coming.
– Surveys! We are going to send out surveys to everybody that attended to get your feedback on the Wicked GT as a whole. Please let us know how we can improve. Remember, if you had a great time at the Wicked GT then please tell other people. If you didn’t, please tell us. There’s no way we can improve if we don’t know what went wrong. We are big boys and gladly accept criticism. It’s the only way we can improve your future Wicked GT gaming experience. Be expecting these surveys shortly!
– Wicked GT 2016! We haven’t finalized a date yet but we know that the Wicked GT 2016 is already set for March 2016… that means we are already within 10 months from having the next one! We were able to switch spots with the Slobberknocker, which works out better for both parties. Once dates are set and we know what’s what, we’ll open registration right here on this website! Stay tuned!
And now for the final standings! Make sure to follow the link below to find out where everybody ended up and also visit the Results page as well as the Golden Toto Painting Competition page to see how that turned out.
And congratulations to all of our winners:
Overall Champion, Wicked GT 2015 – Erik Wilmeth / B.A.W.G.S. / Ogre Kingdoms
Best General, Scarecrows – Chris Westerhold / Team Speedbump / Warriors of Chaos
Best General, Tin Men – James Valdez / Flying Monkeys / Daemons of Chaos
Best General, Wicked Witches – Jon Pike / B.A.W.G.S. / High Elves
Best Appearance, 1st Place – Austin Murrey / B.A.W.G.S. / Wood Elves
Best Appearance, 2nd Place – Randall Hill / Droppin’ Deuces / Warriors of Chaos
Best Appearance, 3rd Place – Mike Grudowsk / B.A.W.G.S. / Daemons of Chaos
Best Sportsman – Mike McGuire / Daemons of Chaos
Player’s Choice – Noble Diven / Warriors of Chaos
Underdog Award – Kurt Armstrong / B.A.W.G.S. / Scarecrow / Dwarfs
Traveler’s Award – Chad Moore / Droppin’ Deuces / Fort Collins, CO – 569 miles!
Be sure to visit the other pages to check out all of the pictures that show some games in action as well as the lovely bartenders that we had, the venue after set up, and even some Friday night gaming that took place. Thank you again to everybody that participated as well as our sponsors! Next year is going to be even bigger and better! If you have any questions at all please don’t hesitate to ask! Thanks again for making the Wicked GT 2015 a huge success!!!
The 5th and final scenario for the first ever Wicked GT is now available! After your long trek through the mysterious land of Oz it’s time to return home and get back to where it all started. Follow the link to see the final scenario!
Wanted to share some news and notes as we get closer and closer to May 15th. There’s lots going on so I’ll share some bullet points and get straight to it!
– Prize support! So far we’ve started to get tons of stuff in the mail that our awesome sponsors have helped us out with. We have lots of boxed sets and blister packs of all kinds of Games Workshop product ready to hand out for raffles, door prizes, and of course, the winners! Some of the things we’ve received are an army battalion of Tomb Kings, Ogre Kingdom Leadbelchers boxed set, and even some various other models to help fill out your armies. Yesterday we received from our awesome sponsor out in California (Cardboard Arcade) a ton of End Times stuff! We know that all the books are now released and here’s your chance to get your hands on the models! Take a look at all of this stuff we’ll be handing out!
– Another important thing to mention is the time allowance for each game. We’ve received multiple feedback concerning the length of each game for a 2,500 point WHFB battle. While some people can play pretty quickly and get the game done in a short amount of time, there’s still other people that may need that little bit extra to get it all done. To this end, we’ve decided to lengthen the amount of each round to 2 hours and 15 minutes. We had originally had it for 2 hour rounds but this will give you an extra 15 minutes to get your last hits in against your opponent and hopefully get those extra points you need to pull out the win! So, going forward, each round will be 2 hours and 15 minutes. (I’ve made the changes to the Schedule page).
– I’ve received a number of army lists but I’m still short a few! If you still have not submitted your army list (you know who you are!) then please do so right away so that I can grade them for Swedish Comp. Remember that this score will only be used to determine your weight class. Get your lists in to firstname.lastname@example.org!
And this is the stuff from the last post, but still relevant:
– Because of our rule to make all buildings impassable we have decided to ban ONE ITEM from this GT, and that is Fozzrik’s Folding Fortress. Please remember this when building your army list.
– Best Western has informed me that the rates for staying there will be valid up until 2 weeks prior to the Wicked GT. So if you plan on staying at the hotel you have until about May 1 to get the special booking price. Don’t delay!
– Beer! We are going to set up our own bar for the weekend. It will likely just be available on Saturday but we are going to have a keg of beer available that all participants will be able to drink from until it lasts. We’ll also have some simple drinks that our bartender will mix up for you as well. It’s all included with your entry fee to the Wicked GT, however, don’t forget that tips are always appreciated!
– The Painting Rubric has been added to the website as well in case you wanted to look it over and see how you can score max points. You can find it by following this link.
– The cost for the Wicked GT is $65 and you can pay via paypal by sending your payment to email@example.com.
April 16, 2015: The last day for refunds has passed. If something comes up and you need to cancel from the Wicked GT we regret to inform that we can not give you a refund. The funds are now being spent in order to make final preparations for the tournament. Thank you for your understanding!
April 19, 2015: Army lists are due now!! Get them in!!! If you have to turn in your army list after April 19th then you will receive a -5 points to your overall score, to be applied at the end of the GT. Please do your best to get your lists in on time. I understand that things come up, you may want to change a unit or two, or even bring a new army entirely. I’ll work with you on this so that no negative points are applied. If you work with me then we should be fine… but if you’re blatantly not putting together a list and waiting until the last minute then it really leaves us no choice so do your best to get me a list as soon as you can!!! We just need to get army lists in as quick as possible so that we can grade them for Swedish Comp (which will be used ONLY to determine 1st round match-ups). There should be no reason anybody has to start the tournament down -5 points.
– Golden Toto Painting Competition – Get your entries ready for the Golden Toto Painting Competition! The trophies have gone to print and they will be ready for the winners. In addition, the winners prize support has been provided by Bits of War so each winner will get product provided by http://www.kromlech.eu! Thank you to our great sponsor, Bits of War!
– Player’s Packet: All the information for the Wicked GT can be found in this packet ranging from the sponsor list, schedule, venue information, all the way to the scoring rubrics for Appearance and Sportsmanship.